Sunday 17 January 2016

Downton Abbey Village Tour!

Downton Abbey Village Tour

I absolutely adore the Downton Abbey series that aired on ITV and finished Christmas Day 2015. Luckily, I live 30 minutes from Bampton, Oxfordshire, where the village scenes were filmed. So today I wrapped up warm, grabbed my camera and travelled over to Bampton in order to walk along the same streets as Lady Mary Crawley did.

I started my trip in the centre of Bampton, and visited the church in which Lady Edith, Lady Mary and many funerals took place throughout the series - St Mary The Virgin Bampton. It was beautiful, making it understandable as to why they chose to film in this location. Next to the Church was the house were Isobel Crawley resided when she came to Downton for the first time, with Matthew, the heir to Downton Abbey.

Across the street from Isobel Crawley's house was Bampton Library, the location set for the country hospital where Isobel Crawley and Violet Crawley were on the Board. Unfortunately, this was closed at the time of my visit, but definitely worth going to another time when opened!

I also had time to visit the Post Office, The Dog and Duck pub, The Grantham Arms and The Red Lion pub, based in Shilton, just down the road from Bampton.

I would recommend this journey for any Downton fan who wants to visit the location sets! My next stop..Highclere Castle in Newbury!! A.KA. Downton Abbey House.













1 comment:

  1. Fantastic article. Very informative. Love the pictures x

    ReplyDelete